National Notary Blog
Happy National Flag Day!
- Category: National Notary Blog
- Created: Wednesday, 13 June 2018 16:38
Chances are Flag Day isn’t as widely celebrated in your home or office as the 4th of July or Memorial Day. Nonetheless, it’s still a neat holiday to rally behind.
Flag Day (the anniversary of the Flag Resolution of 1777) was officially established by the Proclamation of President Woodrow Wilson on May 30th, 1916, but it was unofficially observed way before then. Flag Day was celebrated for the first time in 1877, the 100th anniversary of the adoption of our country’s flag. It wasn’t until August 3rd, 1949, that President Truman signed an Act of Congress designating June 14th of each year as National Flag Day.
In the notary community, we have a patriotic sense of duty that our red, white and blue pride and joy represents. Here are 5 ways you can honor our national banner today:
1. Display the American flag, but know the correct way to do it. The Federal Flag Code prescribes the proper display of and respect of the U.S. flag (Public Law 94-344).
2. In 1814, Francis Scott Key wrote a poem, “Defense of Fort McHenry,” when he saw the flag still flying the morning after an attack by the British. Today, we call that poem by another name: “The Star Spangled Banner.” Get together with your co-workers, friends or family and give it a go. Here are the words if you need extra help. https://amhistory.si.edu/starspangledbanner/pdf/ssb_lyrics.pdf
3. Did you know that you can purchase a flag that has flown over the U.S. Capitol? You can request the flag to be flown on a certain date like an anniversary, birthday or day of retirement. This is a great gift for the flag aficionado in your life. http://www.usflag.org/capitol.flag.html
4. Join a nation-wide organization, the National Flag Foundation, devoted to promoting a deeper appreciation of our nation's founding principles and its first emblem, the Flag of the United States of America, by serving as a primary resource for patriotic and flag education.
5. Create red, white and blue goodies to share with your co-workers, family and friends. Our favorite here at NPU is this patriotic cake:
We hope our tips help you celebrate National Flag Day in your own way. Know we will be celebrating at Notary Public Underwriters as well.