National Notary Blog
All Idaho Notaries Must Use the New Stamp Format Effective October 1, 2018
- Category: National Notary Blog
- Created: Saturday, 01 September 2018 06:56
Idaho’s Secretary of State has reviewed previously-issued guidance, and now clarifies that allIdaho Notaries Public must, effective October 1, 2018, use an official stamp that conforms to new requirements enacted by the 2017 Idaho Legislature. This is regardless of a notary’s current status or commission expiration date.
Beginning October 1, notary stamp requirements are amended to include the Notary’s state-issued commission number and explicitly allow a commission expiration date; conform to maximum dimensions for rectangular and round stamps; and be “readily visible” when photocopied.
As an Idaho Notary, you must feel confident that on October 1, your official stamp includes all mandated information, nothing else unless it is allowed, and meets requirements for size and photocopied quality. In fact, you cannot notarize on or after October 1 unless you have your new stamp in hand—no matter how urgently your employer or customers need your notarial services.
To have a smooth transition from your old stamp format to your new one and avoid disruptions in your notarial duties, we recommend ordering your new notary stamp today.
Steps to Compliance
- Purchase a new stamp well in advance of October 1, 2018 to prevent a lapse in your notarial duties. Remember to safely secure the new stamp.
- Continue to use your existing stamp through September 30, 2018.
- On October 1, 2018, begin using the new stamp that meets the new requirements. Remember, as of this date, all notarial acts MUST be performed with the new stamp to be in compliance with the law.
- After October 1, 2018, you are responsible for destroying your old notary stamp so it is no longer usable.
Let Notary Public Underwriters ease your worries about the approaching October 1 deadline. Our Idaho notary public stamps meet all requirements of law, come in a wide range of stamp case colors, and are meticulously produced by long-time employees whose craftsmanship is backed by our lifetime guarantee on every stamp.